Thursday, August 7, 2014

Navigating Whole Foods On A Budget




This post is not adoption related in the least but another passion of mine is making sure that my family eats as clean and healthy as possible.  And since we are on a limited budget then we cannot afford to spend a lot of money on groceries or anything else for that matter.  I allow us $450 per month for groceries.  I hear all the time that organic and clean groceries are so expensive.  On that note, lets learn to navigate Whole Foods on a budget.

Whole Foods, Whole Paycheck! That’s how the saying goes, right?  That phrase always scared me away.  I’ve always been a Walmart kind of girl.  The meat and produce are always cheaper there. Why the need to go Wholefoods for my groceries?  

Then I started learning what was actually in that chicken breast that I was buying from Walmart or what was used to keep the pest away from those apples that my family had been consuming.  Eeeeek!  So the adventure to learn how I could keep my family healthy on a Walmart budget began.

First I will admit that eating cleaner and healthier can be a bit more expensive.  Eating fresh and not having packaged processed foods can seem intimidating, especially for busy moms.  But I am here to say that it can be done and I will show you how.

I shop on Saturdays because the hubby is home and that is the first available time I have without three kiddos in tow.   So on Saturday mornings I make a meal plan.  I try to keep meals as easy as possible.  The crock-pot can be a mom’s best friend.  I search Pinterest for easy meals and make my grocery list according to what I need for the next two weeks of meals.  I don’t’ want to go grocery shopping more than twice a month because each time that I go into a store I end up impulse shopping for things that I don’t need.  I only buy groceries at a grocery store.  Everything else that we buy we get online. 

I don’t buy everything organic.  There are only certain fruits and veggies that are highly contaminated with pesticides.  There is dirty dozen list provided by EWG.org of fruits and veggies that are the most contaminated so I buy those fruits and veggies are only bought if I can get them organic.  We eat lots of strawberries, apples, and potatoes in our house.  Those items are bought as organic.  We also eat lots of bananas and raspberries, but they are not on the dirty dozen lists so to save money we do not buy those items organic. 

I love animals and hate animal cruelty but I also love meat.  So my thought process is this….I want to eat the meat but I don’t want the animal that I am eating to have lived a horrible life or encountered a horrible death.  Whole Foods has a rating system for their meat and poultry.  The rating system is on their website, but basically WF rates all of their meat on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being animals raised with no crates and no cages and 5 being animals raised free roaming, outdoors on one farm their entire lives.  I buy meats with a rating of 4 meaning that the animal in which I have selected had been raised outdoors and was free to roam.   Oh, and the price of that meat is not that much more than I would have paid at Walmart.

Now for those prepackaged food families, you are in luck!  Whole Foods has a store brand called 365.  So just like Walmart has Great Value, Whole Foods has its  own brand as well.  I save tons of money by buying Whole Food’s generic brand over the more expensive brand name labels.  And with that I know that Whole Foods only has non-gmo plant derived ingredients in its brand.  So I do have breakfast bars in the pantry for the kids to eat and I can throw some mac n cheese together for a side dish with my organic meat.  They also have milk, butter, yogurt, etc.  Great Money Saver!!


Whole Foods also has a sales ad at their front entrances with coupons and specials for the week.  Grab one on your way in and save even more.  And if you are like me and you like to stock up on certain items, you can buy a case of your favorite product and WF will give you a 10% discount to boot.

So with a family of 5, I can manage to make my way through Whole Foods and buy what I need to feed my family on a budget of about $200 every 2 weeks.  Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less, but I am here to say that it can be done.  Happy, healthy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment